Wednesday, May 8, 2013

CoverGirl LipPerfection Jumbo Gloss Balm Swatches, Photos, + Reviews

CoverGirl LipPerfection Jumbo Gloss Balm: Ballet Twist, Blush Twist,  Watermelon Twist, Coral Twist
After much internal debate and two trips to the drugstore, I finally come to a consensus about the CoverGirl Jumbo Gloss Balms. In the end I've realized that these products are a frustrating mix of good and bag. I know that might seem anti-climatic but I find that these products can be extremely underwhelming (see my review of "Ballet Twist" and "Coral Twist") or pleasantly surprising (see my review of "Watermelon Twist" and "Blush Twist"). They are extremely hit or miss which makes me hesitant to recommend them as a range.

CoverGirl Jumbo Gloss Balm: Ballet Twist, Blush Twist, Watermelon Twist, Coral Twist
I will first address my complaints before getting to my compliments. First, these products are poorly named. I own four out of the sixteen shades and none of them are what I would consider to be a gloss or a balm. They have a lovely sheen when applied to the lips but I would compare the look to a lustre or stain finish--not a gloss. Also, these are called gloss balms which (at least for me personally) induces imagery of an insanely moisturizing product. Who needs their Vaseline or EOS lip balms anymore? This is supposed to be a two in one product ..right? Well...not really. While they do apply smoothly to the lips and they do feel quite moisturizing, don't throw out your lip balm anytime soon. And in my experience, some colors ("Ballet Twist" and "Coral Twist") seem to emphasize the appearance of dry lips rather than fix the problem.

Second, the color pay-off doesn't quite match the caps or even the product in the tube. It isn't a big deal but it is something that is a bit annoying when I was picking out colors to buy. This was especially a problem with  "Ballet Twist" which I thought was a baby pink but ended up being a true nude color. Like I said earlier, it isn't a big problem but it is something to be aware of when shopping.

CoverGirl Jumbo Gloss Balm: Ballet Twist, Blush Twist, Watermelon Twist, Coral Twist
Third, the lasting power of these products is not impressive. The sheen will wear off around an hour (sooner if you eat shortly after application) and the color wear off, on average, around one hour. Some of the darker colors ("Coral Twist") can last around three but it does not fade very gracefully (making my lips look patchy and chapped--which is never a good look). "Ballet Twist" lasted for a significantly less amount of time but it still left my lips feeling and looking dry. To be fair, I had no problems with "Watermelon Twist" or "Blush Twist". They faded beautifully and were just fantastic products to wear on an everyday basis.

Fourth, the inconsistency of these products. As I mentioned above, I had very different experiences with each of the shades that I bought. Some I loved, some I hated. This made it extremely hard for me to come to a consensus on the range. It was really hit or miss.

Now onto the things I liked about the products. I love the jumbo lipstick pencils. I think they're so easy to use and can sometimes give consumers better application control than a normal lipstick. And while they weren't glossy balms, they applied smoothly and easily to the lips.

I think that these Jumbo Gloss Balms are an okay product. There is nothing terrible about them but I think some of the shades aren't ideal for the lives of many working women. They aren't long lasting or highly pigmented. In the end, I  think are plenty of products on the market that are better than the CoverGirl Jumbo Gloss Balms. If you are looking for long-lasting and high pigmentation  check out the CoverGirl LipPerfection Lipsticks. They are fantastic products at a great price. If you are looking for a moisturizing lipstick (without a long shelf life) try a Revlon Lip Butter or a L'oreal Colour Riche Caresse Lipstick. Both feel amazing on the lips but the Lip Butter is very opaque while the L'oreal Lipstick has a very sheer finish.

If you still want to buy a Jumbo Gloss Balm despite reading this review--go for it! These are by no means a horrible product. Like I said at the beginning of the review, these are average products. Some of the shades are fantastic ("Watermelon Twist" or "Blush Twist") but some I regretted buying ("Ballet Twist" or "Coral Twist"). I will not be buying more of products from this range unless I read an excellent review on a specific color from someone that I really trust.

3 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...