Saturday, October 19, 2013

13 Nights of Halloween: Spooner Farms Harvest Festival + Pumpkin Patch

 Midterms are in full swing but that seems to only makes want to talk about Halloween even more. Anything to distract me from the mind numbing torture that is studying for organic chemistry. Anyone else out there feeling my pain? It helps to know you're not alone. Last week, before the chaos of midterms started, I took a trip with my family to Orting, Washington to visit Spooner's Pumpkin Patch. Over the past few years, it's become something of a family tradition. 





Spooner's one of the largest pumpkin patches in the Tacoma area. I mean, as you can see, there are literally rows and rows and rows of pumpkins to pick from. It's a really cool experience, roaming around with your wheelbarrow as you search for the perfect pumpkin. The entire place is filled with fun and spooky decorations like the hay spiders and a gigantic pumpkin--like the one from the movie, Halloweentown--which makes for perfect photo opportunities for adults and little kids alike. Although beware: if its been raining, make sure to bring rain boots because it can get really, really muddy. 



But what makes Spooner's a must visit are the other attractions they provide for visitors. Ever wanted a squash shaped like a swan or a turban or a banana? Well, the small squash shopping section is the place for you. They also have a small gift shop that carries everything from pumpkin carving supplies, deliciously rich fudge, and other spooky decorations for Halloween. For younger kids, they offer a mini maze, a mini race track, face painting, balloon animals, farm animals, and pumpkin sling shots. There is enough stuff to do for an entire afternoon. The food isn't the best (I would recommend eating before or bringing food from home) but I'm always impressed with all other aspects of my experience. I think we might have gone a little overboard. Did we really need to buy ten pumpkins? Definitively not. But I'm excited to carve my pumpkins and display them on my porch. I'm sort of a pumpkin carving ninja--not really. Bit I try. 





But the one thing that I look forward to every year is the corn maze. Each year they have a fun theme--in previous years its been anything from The Chronicles of Narnia to Egypt--and this year was Monsters, loosely based on Monster's Inc. I mean, look that that maze! It's Mike and Sulley. I love those guys! They have these sculptures throughout the maze and at the end you get a fun prize. If you get the chance, check out Spooner's and tell me what you think! Click here to visit the farm's website and get more information!

Today is the beginning of my new 13 Nights of Halloween series. For the next 13 days I'm going to try (emphasis on try) to post a Halloween inspired post every day. Some of them will be beauty related but a lot of them will be random lifestyle posts like today. I hope you enjoy them! Let me know what you'd like to see in the comments below!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...