Monday, August 12, 2013

Top Ten Purple Nail Polishes

Best of Beauty: Top Ten Purple Nail Polishes
I am so sorry that it took me so long to get around to finally publishing this post. Back in July when I posted my Top Ten Blue Nail Polishes I said that my Top Ten Purple Nail Polish list would be up shortly (which apparently means a month in my definition). But better late than never, right? Beware that there is a lot of OPI on this list. It wasn't intentional, I promise.

As I stated in my previous blog post, there are three things I take into account when choosing the polishes for this list. One) How often do I wear it? A lot of times I love a color but I find that it isn't something that I reach for a lot. Two) What do others think? A lot of my friends and family are nail polish junkies as well. I love having people over the house to have manicures and I tend to notice which colors are popular picks. I also took into account which polishes receive the most compliments when I wear them out and what other beauty bloggers think of the color. Three) Uniqueness and quality. Is this a unique shade? Is a color that you can't find in another brand's line up. If not, what makes this particular color from this particular brand the best (formulation, price, packaging, brush, lasting power, etc.)? 

Essie "Lilacism" + OPI "You're Such A Buda-Pest", "Do You Lilac It?", "Ate Berries in the Canaries", "Polka.Com"
 What top ten purple nail polish list would be complete without Essie "Lilacism"? It is the original soft lilac color that everyone knows and loves. In the past couple years almost every single brand has come out with a similar color (I know that Sally Hansen and CoverGirl sell excellent dupes) but I had to put this on the list. It is such an iconic color and it's one that I go back to time and time again. OPI "You're Such A Buda-Pest" is a relatively new addition to my collection but I choose it because it's a nice alternative to "Lilacism". It looks extremely blue in this picture and more than a few of you are wondering why it's not on my blue list (but I promise it looks blue next to purples and purple next to blue). It's a lovely opaque periwinkle color that OPI recently released in their Euro Centrale Collection.

OPI "Do You Lilac It?" is the darker version of "Lilacism". It is another one of those iconic purple shades. It has received so much praise in the beauty community and all of it is deserved. The formula is flawless--it only takes two coats and the lasting power is quite impressive if combined with a good top coat. OPI "Ate Berries in the Canaries" is another winner from OPI. This shade has been around for years but it's a color that wins new fans everyday. Unlike the other three colors I've mentioned, "Ate Berries in the Canaries" is a bright plum color. It doesn't have any shimmer or glitter but the color is beautiful that it can stand on its own. OPI "Polka.Com" is not a purple nail polish in the strictest sense but I felt that I had to include it. "Polka.Com" is a chunky (purple, pink, teal, and blue) glitter top coat. I wouldn't recommend wearing this polish on its own if you want an opaque finish but it would look lovely as an accent for any of the polishes I've mentioned on this list. 

Revlon "Facets of Fuchsia" + OPI "Pamplona Purple", "Mrs. O'Leary's BBQ", "Brake For OPI" + Essie "Sexy Divide"
A few years ago I had a bit of an obsession with the Deborah Lippman polish, "Bad Romance". Imagine my surprise and excitement when I learned that Revlon had a very similar drugstore dupe--Revlon "Facets of Fuchsia". It is a black nail polish with chunky purple glitter. It isn't a color for everyone but it's a color for people wanting a bold and vampy manicure. OPI "Pamplona Purple" is a color that I recently reviewed. In that post I mentioned that I didn't wear this color as often but I included it on this list because it was one of my favorite colors growing up. This is a wonderful color for any little girls out there who love purple as much as I did.

OPI "Mrs. O'Leary's BBQ" is an underground favorite. I don't hear a lot about this color on beauty blogs. That's probably because in the bottle it doesn't look like anything special--just a dark muddy red-purple. But it looks completely different when applied to the nails. And I'm not alone in my thinking--whenever I wear this I get so many compliments. OPI "Brake For OPI" is a close relative to OPI "Lincoln Park After Dark". A lighter and less famous relative but it's still worth checking out. Unlike "Lincoln Park After Dark" which looks essentially black when applied to the nails, "Brake For OPI" actually looks like a dark purple. And finally, Essie "Sexy Divide" is dark-medium purple color with blue and pink duo-chrome. I don't know if it's a necessarily sexy color but I wear this color when I want to take a break from cream polishes. It is a fun and young shade--and unlike many of the purple nail polishes in my collection. 

What are your favorite purple nail polishes? Did I leave any out? Tell me in the comments below! I'm always looking for new suggestions. If you want more in depth reviews and swatches, check out of the blog posts I linked above. My Top Ten Green Nail Polishes list will be released shortly (and I mean it this time). 

1 comment:

  1. i love purples, i have nothing else metals from essie which is like a lilac metallic
    sort of
    love it
    xoxo
    http://randommonchi.blogspot.com.ar

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...