Monday, July 22, 2013

Best of Beauty: Top 10 Summer Lipsticks

Semi-recently Estee, from the beauty blog essiebutton and youtube.com/essiebutton, released a series of videos and blog posts all about her top lip products. I thought I would take a page from her book and do a top 10 list of my own (but with a bit of a twist). My list--as you can see from the title--is all about summer themed lipsticks! I picked eight drugstore lipsticks and two higher-end products. I made my list based on the colors I've been wearing for the past month-and-a-half. Last year I made a similar post. Click here to see what products I was wearing during the summer of 2012. 

Top 10 Summer Lipsticks: Revlon Lip Butters in "Tutti Fruitti", "Lollipop", and "Strawberry Shortcake"
 No top ten lipstick list would be complete without mentioning the Revlon Lip Butters. If I hadn't restrained myself this list would probably have been nothing but lip butters because I am obsessed. They have a fantastically opaque and creamy formulation at a drugstore price. But I showed some self-control and only picked three shades. "Tutti Fruitti" is the only orange-toned lipstick that I wear because you can get a sheer, subtle look with only one layer or a bolder, brighter look with two of more coats. Summer is a great time to take risks. "Lollipop" is a color that is perfect no matter the season. Last month I posted a review all about how much I loved it. Click here to see that! And the last lip butter I picked for this list is "Strawberry Shortcake"! It is a creamy pale pink that is the color I reach for whenever I want a subtle makeup look. Although note, it's harder to get a sheer application with this product. 

CoverGirl Jumbo Gloss in "Watermelon Twist" and Revlon Balm Stains in "Honey" and "Smitten"
Next, I picked three of the crayon-like lip products that have been super popular recently. I'm not the biggest fan of the CoverGirl Lip Perfection Jumbo Gloss Balms--they're not long lasting or opaque or super moisturizing like a balm--and I honestly think there are tons of better products on the market. But I do have a soft spot for the shade "Watermelon Twist". It's that product that you keep in your purse for easy, no-mirror reapplication. The color is simple and sweet. It'll look great for almost any occasion. The other two crayon-like products are from the Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain line. "Honey" is a beautiful medium-nude stain (that, along with the Revlon Lip Butter in "Tutti Fruitti", ironically is also on Estee's top 10 drugstore list). It isn't uber long lasting when compared to the other colors in the range but it's a lovely color for everyday. Conversely, the Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain in "Smitten" packs more of a punch. At full opacity, "Smitten" is a deep berry color that will literally last all night. But if you're looking for a more subtle look, one coat gives the lips a sweet I've-just-been-eating-berries sort of look. 

Top 10 Summer Lipsticks: L'Oreal "Blushing Sequin" and Flower Lip Butter in "Wispy Wisteria"
The last two products are both relatively new products in my collection but they've quickly earned a special place in my heart. The L'Oreal Color Caresse by Color Riche Lipsticks are a line of smooth, but sheer, lip products. They're not the longest lasting but they effortless and hassle-free. I'm also obsessed with how the formula feels on the lips--not cakey or waxy at all. I'm also a huge fan of the Flower Lip Butters (even though I only own one color, Wispy Wisteria) because this is a gloss and a lipstick in one. It is the glossiest lipstick I've ever used. The Flower makeup line is available exclusively at select Wal-Marts. It took me about four tries to find a Wal-Mart that carried the line. I'm also not a huge fan of the packaging--the lid falls off a lot and it's a bit bulky--but I'm still a big fan of the color. 

Best of Beauty: Top 10 Summer Lipsticks

Top 10 Summer Lipsticks: MAC "Viva Glam V" and YSL "Red Muse"
 I only picked two high-end lipsticks to add to the list--MAC "Viva Glam V" and YSL "Red Muse". I choose "Viva Glam V" because it is a shimmery nude that is a step up from a regular nude like MAC "Myth". I also picked the YSL Rouge Volupte lipstick in "Red Muse" because this is literally the perfect red lipstick. It is creamy, applies like a dream, smells fantastic, and feels like luxury in a lipstick. I'm not a big red lipstick fan but this one is amazing. I cannot get enough. If you want to see how the lipstick looks on the lips, check out the more in depth review I posted here

Top 10 Summer Lipsticks: YSL "Red Muse" and MAC "Viva Glam V"
And those are my top 10 summer lipsticks. I'm curious to know what your top ten summer shades are, so please leave it in the comments below! Don't forget to check out the drugstore dupe blog post I published yesterday where I compare the elf  Bronzer + Blush duo in "St. Lucia" with the NARS "Laguna" bronzer and "Orgasm" blush

7 comments:

  1. Oh Gosh, I do love lipsticks!
    Revlon are definitely one of my favourite for easy but beautiful lip products. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh i loveee that tutti frutti lip butter! I must get it, anything orange based is perfect for summer!

    www.frankiebooxx.blogspot.com

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohmygosh, that ysl red muse is so gorgeous!!! i waaant!!! :D

    <3, Mimi
    http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful blog......Fashion design is the applied art devoted to the designing of clothing and lifestyle accessories. This art is influenced by cultural and social attitudes and has evolved over time and place. top Fashion Design colleges in Ahmedabad has come a long way from the designer clothes worn by them royalty of the ancient world to the haute couture products of the present .The Fashion Design colleges in Ahmedabad every year gives the expert designer who represent the India among the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YSL Red Muse has an amazing colour! xx

    Martyna | NEON MIZZLE

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...